Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ryan wrote a blog *gasp*

Jane Austen. Goodness me... I never would have guessed that I would proudly praise that name.
The McCann household recently finished an incredibly entertaining and satisfying Jane Austen film experience. Granted, I have never read the books; so I'm sure many of you who have read them can tell me that I'm "missing out on the full experience" or that "the movies don't do them justice." And you may be right. But I will say that I love the cinematic renditions of Jane Austen's works. As does brother William.

Willie and I consider ourselves amateur movie critics--and we are always on the lookout for truly quality films. It could take hours to fully hash out our take on these few, so I guess I'll just tell you my favorites of our recent Jane trilogy.

Sense and Sensibility gets third place. While it was extremely gripping, it was slow to command my attention. It wasn't until about halfway through the film that it had me hooked. The film's greatest asset was that it had the most satisfying ending of the three. After seeing Elinor suffering over and over yet bottling it up, one was overjoyed (and relieved) when she was united with the one she loved.

Second place goes to Pride and Prejudice.
At times it felt a bit awkward, or even rushed (Like Mr. Darcy all of a sudden being like "I can't live with out you."). Also, it loses points for being a bit overproduced and Hollywoody--which amounted to feeling mushy. But overall it was just plain great. Great characters, great acting, the best scenery...I don't know... I just liked it.

The best of this fantastic group of films was Emma.
As a character-driven film, the lead is wonderfully unique. Emma's uniqueness causes countless humorous situations, which only adds to the goodness of the story. And Mr Knightley. By far the most admirable of Jane Austen's leading men. All the other men seemed unworthy of the heroine--but not Mr.Knightley.
Yes indeed, I am a fan.

Now having said all this, I must make one thing perfectly clear: I believe real-life romance is of the devil.
1 Corinthians, chapter 7. Mmhmm.

Wow, for a first blog I sure did good!
-Ryan
blog comments powered by Disqus