Friday, October 16, 2009

Silent Substitute and Trouble with TV

It's called Murphy's Law, it's real, and it haunts me. The following story will show you how.

We have an old TV. Not a zillion years old, mind you, but it's not like the plasma screens of today, and why should it be? The only time we look at it is Sunday Movie Nights. It's not a problem.

Not long ago, the "off" button broke on our TV. You couldn't turn it off without using the remote. No biggie. Except, you see, I have a honed sense for these things--when there's a TV or computer on within a two-room radius of myself, I can sense it. I developed a new pet peeve to coincide with the breaking of the power button: the TV being left on, in its humming, black-screened state. A state my family seems to enjoy leaving it in. Either we are lazy, or we just enjoy the idea of the TV watching us. I have no idea. Nevertheless, the seemingly-constantly on television started to drive me crazy. And I know...it's not a very far drive.

Anyhoo. I learned to turn the TV off myself. I can do this, no problem, so I thought.

Wrong-o. Sunday night after Little Women, I picked up the remote to turn off the TV, and it wouldn't turn off. Willie informed me that the remote was broken.

Yes. Now, if it's a battery problem, no one has bothered to change them. The remote is still broken.

And our TV has been on, in said everlasting, black-screened humming state, for three days. Night and day. Night and day.

I am being driven to the end of my wits.

If you have sympathy for me, comment and tell me your pet peeve(s). Or send me a link to a picture of mellowcreme pumpkins. Well? It's cheaper than the real thing.

Ah, therapy.

We have some songs on iheartradio.com now, and we're hoping to get our plays up high. If you help us, I will love you forever. In fact, I will post a picture of YOUR favorite food in my next blog. We'll have a happy-blog-party. And who knows, maybe by then someone will have changed the batteries in our remote control :-D.

Becca

1 comment:

Leave a comment for this blog.